Board member responsibilities:
YourWords STL uses one-on-one tutoring, creative writing workshops, and collaborative writing projects to amplify the voices of St. Louis youth. We are committed to bridging racial, cultural, and economic divides, by honing the ability of people to tell their stories, while providing opportunities for the community to listen.
The YourWords STL Board is charged with the governance and oversight of the organization, adhering to all bylaws. It is essential that our board members commit to helping YourWords STL in our mission and vision through leadership and participation.
Toward those responsibilities, we require that board members:
- Provide appropriate fiscal support to YourWords STL with at least one donation per year.
- Through personal and professional networks, help expand the scope of our donor and volunteer base.
- Serve a two-year term on the Board with the option for re-election to two additional terms.
- Attend at least 75% of board meetings, which may be in the form of teleconference if necessary.
- Make every effort to be present at Board-related events such as fundraisers and celebrations.
- Be a member of one of the following committees: fundraising, tutor recruitment/retention, grants, marketing, programming, and strategic planning.
- Actively promote the mission, vision, and community benefit of YourWords STL.
- Be familiar with by-laws, fiscal, ethical, and legal aspects of the organization, as well as reviewing board meeting minutes and updates to the board.